You are here: Home / Forums / OTM Forums / On The Mat / Abu Dhabi Tourney

On The Mat

Post New Forum Topic | Refresh

Fight Shop

OTM Breaking Arms Black Front
OTM Breaking Arms
$24.99
Future Fighter MMA 12 Rash Guard S/S Front
Future Fighter MMA 12 Rash Guard
$45.99
Lucky Gi Shamrock Rash Guard Front
Lucky Gi Shamrock Rash Guard
$59.99
Trainers Room Fight Tape 1.5"
$3.99

Who's Online

edwardk
leighgmclaughlin
There are currently 2 users and 31 guests online.

Who's New

Jkymera
Mercenary92
TheRockBJJ
Scottgillis1118
Adam Carter
Daviidp10
ramvjr
angela.sauermann.ca
thelastelementsem
Ruscio
johnt13
JayPagesJJCTA
piousjr@hotmail.com
Turtlejitzu
jonno.nickson
sethwilliambrown
mquintanilla1
michelleciociola
rubentodd
thheffelfinger
view counter

Abu Dhabi Tourney

    Mon, 2008-09-01 16:10 — three harmonies

    I have been searching the internet long enough to give me a damn headache...
    How does one qualify for the Abu Dhabi Submission Tourney? I know it will not be held until 2009, but what / where are the tourneys to qualify the main event?

    Thanks guys,
    Jake

    laquintofox's picture

    i think this is a horrible idea to just take the bjj world champions and a few elite guys . wouldn't that kill the spirit of what adcc has always stood for. you know you get the best grapplers from different schools of grappling and let them test theirs skills against each other! hopefully it will go back to the days of old with the drums:p

    Your rating: None
    beowulf's picture

    i like the sound of by "invite only"... it gives a Mortal Kombat type feeling (especially with the Asian destination for the show), where only the guys who have proven themselves in the no-gi worlds are invited. the no-gi worlds are more or less the trials, so go win that and you have nothing to worry about!

    Your rating: None
    laquintofox's picture

    but isn't it the black belt divisions or the brown and black divisions they are looking at? either way its not a good idea. because some of the best grapplers in the world don't hold a rank in bjj. and i think to do the black belt division in any of the adult male ibjjf events you have to be a black belt. and i think i read somewhere they can ask you to show proof that you are actually a black belt:confused:

    Your rating: None
    overcat's picture

    laquintofox;22857 wrote:
    but isn't it the black belt divisions or the brown and black divisions they are looking at? either way its not a good idea. because some of the best grapplers in the world don't hold a rank in bjj. and i think to do the black belt division in any of the adult male ibjjf events you have to be a black belt. and i think i read somewhere they can ask you to show proof that you are actually a black belt:confused:

    ADCC is a no-gi competition run by a jiu-jitsu black belt. wrestlers and judoka just had the Olympics and i didn't see any jiu-jitsu guys complain. there also weren't any brown belts competing in Olympic judo. ADCC = Olympic level no-gi jiu-jitsu.

    Your rating: None
    three harmonies's picture

    So back to my original post....
    Any help with dates on qualifiers, rules, etc.?
    Thanks
    Jake

    Your rating: None
    beowulf's picture

    three harmonies;22876 wrote:
    So back to my original post....
    Any help with dates on qualifiers, rules, etc.?
    Thanks
    Jake

    read the thread dude. there are no dates yet and the majority of conversation revolves around the potential replacement of traditional qualifiers with special invitations...and why are you asking about rules? have you never seen an ADCC match? :confused:

    Your rating: None
    three harmonies's picture

    Well 'dude' I am trying to get information for my coach as one of his goals is to try to make it to ADCC, and if it is in Japan then that will cost a pretty penny, so a bit of prior planning is in need.
    Thanks 'Dude'
    Jake

    Your rating: None
    beowulf's picture

    three harmonies;22883 wrote:
    Well 'dude' I am trying to get information for my coach as one of his goals is to try to make it to ADCC, and if it is in Japan then that will cost a pretty penny, so a bit of prior planning is in need.
    Thanks 'Dude'
    Jake

    don't get smart with me dude. you're the one that came off as a stoner re-asking a question about dates that had just been answered. by the way, most ADCC competitors secure sponsors that take care of their travel.

    Your rating: None
    laquintofox's picture

    overcat;22858 wrote:
    ADCC is a no-gi competition run by a jiu-jitsu black belt. wrestlers and judoka just had the Olympics and i didn't see any jiu-jitsu guys complain. there also weren't any brown belts competing in Olympic judo. ADCC = Olympic level no-gi jiu-jitsu.

    this is a silly debate. because the jiu-jitsu people like myself just had the no gi worlds. if you look at the earyly adcc it was meant for people of many different schools of thought to come together and test there skill.:rolleyes: and people in bjj have talked about getting in the olympics for years:confused:

    Your rating: None
    overcat's picture

    laquintofox;22874 wrote:
    this is a silly debate. because the jiu-jitsu people like myself just had the no gi worlds. if you look at the earyly adcc it was meant for people of many different schools of thought to come together and test there skill.:rolleyes: and people in bjj have talked about getting in the olympics for years:confused:

    i said ADCC = the Olympics of jiu-jitsu (no-gi), not the worlds of jiu-jitsu (no-gi).

    *judo has a world championship and Olympics.

    *wrestling has a world championship and Olympics.

    *jiu-jitsu (no-gi) has a world championship and ADCC.

    Your rating: None
    laquintofox's picture

    overcat;22891 wrote:
    i said ADCC = the Olympics of jiu-jitsu (no-gi), not the worlds of jiu-jitsu (no-gi).

    *judo has a world championship and Olympics.

    *wrestling has a world championship and Olympics.

    *jiu-jitsu (no-gi) has a world championship and ADCC.
    ok sure thing thats why adcc came about to be the olympics of jiu-jitsu. so the bjj guys need to get ready for all the standing wristlocks of the jiu-jitsu masters from japan;)

    Your rating: None
    overcat's picture

    laquintofox;22910 wrote:
    ok sure thing thats why adcc came about to be the olympics of jiu-jitsu. so the bjj guys need to get ready for all the standing wristlocks of the jiu-jitsu masters from japan;)

    ADCC was started by a guy who's a black belt in jiu-jitsu and the greatest ADCC competitors are jiu-jitsu guys.

    by the way, i'm not really sure what you meant by "jiu-jitsu masters from japan", but if you were referring to the Japanese style, it's called jujutsu. you might as well lobby for taekwondo guys while you're at it. ;)

    Your rating: None
    laquintofox's picture

    overcat;22911 wrote:
    ADCC was started by a guy who's a black belt in jiu-jitsu and the greatest ADCC competitors are jiu-jitsu guys.

    by the way, i'm not really sure what you meant by "jiu-jitsu masters from japan", but if you were referring to the Japanese style, it's called jujutsu. you might as well lobby for taekwondo guys while you're at it. ;)
    fyi there are a shit load of ways to spell jui-jitsu,jujutsu,jujitsu, etc. etc.

    Your rating: None
    laquintofox's picture

    overcat;22911 wrote:
    ADCC was started by a guy who's a black belt in jiu-jitsu and the greatest ADCC competitors are jiu-jitsu guys.

    by the way, i'm not really sure what you meant by "jiu-jitsu masters from japan", but if you were referring to the Japanese style, it's called jujutsu. you might as well lobby for taekwondo guys while you're at it. ;)
    damn right tae kwon do guys need to get in the gym and get ready to roll. that would be more interesting. but any way did know before he got his black belt in bjj he studied wrestling with matt hume. what about the early adcc makes you really think that it was a bjj oriented tournament?:confused:

    Your rating: None
    three harmonies's picture

    Beowulf - quit being a douche!

    Soncibh - I googled Guy Nevins and came up with everything BUT ADCC type people. Any help?
    Thanks
    Jake

    Your rating: None
    beowulf's picture

    three harmonies;22916 wrote:
    Beowulf - quit being a douche!

    douche = asking when the dates were, after it was made clear there aren't any dates scheduled yet.

    Your rating: None
    hksambo's picture

    That sucks

    That absolutely sucks and makes no sense. Lets take other world champions and use them in our world championships? What about the elite level wrestlers, judoka and samboka? I hope they don't do it like this.

    Your rating: None
    overcat's picture

    hksambo;22843 wrote:
    That absolutely sucks and makes no sense. Lets take other world champions and use them in our world championships? What about the elite level wrestlers, judoka and samboka? I hope they don't do it like this.

    makes sense to me, since it's the Sheikh's tournament and he's a black belt in jiu-jitsu. besides, no judoka, sambo guy, or wrestler (other than a roided up Mark Kerr) has done anything great at ADCC. it's always jiu-jitsu guys like Marcelo, Roger, and Drysdale that do the best.

    Your rating: None
    three harmonies's picture

    Bevois,
    Thanks. So a couple of questions if you may...
    By "invite" does that mean they pay your way, or simply you "can" attend the tourney?
    Also will it be the 09 no gi mundials one would have to qualify in?

    Thanks
    Jake

    Your rating: None
    three harmonies's picture

    HK-
    All those athletes are welcome to participate in the grappling tourneys of any sport! Most of these cats cross compete in various tourneys.
    Jake

    Your rating: None
    view counter