I'm surprised that noone has commented yet on PRIDE (shown last night on PPV). Some personal comments:
- Great win by Aurelio, exploiting Gomi's 'Archilles Heel'. As several people have noted in the past, Gomi seems weakest when fighting off his back, and this time he ran across someone who was even stronger - and with even better ground skills - than he. (However, I didn't appreciate the way Aurelio ground his chin in Gomi's eye socket as he was tightening the choke.) I'm looking forward to a rematch, after Gomi (presumably) takes time away from his standup training to tighten up his ground skills. In any event, Aurelio seems to have a bright future.
- I was impressed by Dan Henderson's opponent: Kazuo Misaki. He showed great tenacity and cardio. (In contrast, Henderson seemed a bit underdone for this fight, and almost paid for it.)
- The Jens Pulver and Joachim Hansen fights were the most entertaining of the night, IMHO.
- Paulo Filho's ground skills were impressive: very technical and smooth.
- Now that Randy Couture has retired, Matsuhiro Ishida (who won the first fight) might now take the title of "freakiest cauliflower ears in MMA". When I first saw him in the pre-fight interview, I thought that those were earphones (for translation) sticking out of his ears!
- Am I the only one who finds the voice of that female PRIDE announcer (who likes to roll her "R"s, while screaming like a banshee) really sexy? I imagine her being a really foxy little vixen who's smoking hot in bed :-)
- It seems I'm not the only person who's annoyed by Mauro Ranallo's incessant ass-kissing. At one point during last night's show, co-host Frank Trigg piped up "stop being so kind".