Shine Fights returns with Grand Prix format on Friday, September 10 at the Patriot Center and live on Pay-Per-View
8 MMA fighters to compete for one night in single elimination tournament in Fairfax, VA.
NEW YORK, NY (August 12, 2010) - Shine Fights Promotions' highly-anticipated return to the MMA ring will take place on September 10 at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, it was announced today by Shine Fights COO Jason Chambers. The Grand Prix format--an eight-man, single-elimination tournament taking place in one night--will be the first such event held in the United States in more than 15 years. The bout will be broadcast live on PPV by MultiVision Media, Inc., beginning at 9 p.m. EST/6 p.m. PST. The suggested retail price is $29.99.
Tickets, priced at $350, $154, $94, $74, $64, $44, and $24, will go on sale Saturday morning (August 14) at 10a.m. EST and will be available at tickemaster.com. There will also be an "Early Bird Special" where those who purchase tickets in the first 48 hours will receive a 15% discount off the face value of the ticket, which will be available through the Patriot Center Box Office from 10am-5pm (Closed Sunday) and through ticketmaster.com.
"The Grand Prix format can be traced back to the grassroots of MMA," said Chambers. "Fans will be given the unique opportunity to witness some of the world's most talented athletes go head to head, more than once, in a single evening. And they will see first-hand the intense conditioning, determination, and will that is needed to survive in such a demanding format. Fans better purchase their tickets quickly because we are expecting a sellout."
Shine Fights CEO, Devin Price added, “Shine Fights has always believed in offering MMA fans a different and compelling fight card. I am as anxious as any other MMA fan to see a compelling tournament with eight tough fighters culminating with one champion, all in one night.”
"We are very excited to introduce this exciting, cutting edge format in High Definition," said Executive Producer Brian Ricco. "Being surrounded by our team of network veterans and buoyed by Bruce Beck, we are looking forward to the highest level of sports broadcast."
“The Patriot Center is very pleased to host Shine Fights’ Grand Prix Lightweight Tournament on Friday, September 10, 2010. We look forward to a fantastic Mixed Martial Arts tournament and feel it will be great for fans in the Washington, D.C. area”, said Barry Geisler, General Manager of the Patriot Center.
The Grand Prix tournament is sanctioned by the Virginia State Athletic Commission, but will be contested under Nevada State Athletic Commission rules. Each of the eight 155 lb fighters will be paired-off in the tournament's opening round, with the four winners moving on to round two. The two winners of round two will move on to the tournament's final round and battle for the championship. The single-elimination format means that the tournament winner will need to win three bouts that evening. (In case of injury there will be two alternate bouts).
Rounds one and two of the tournament will be composed of two 5-minute rounds. They will also have a 3-minute overtime if needed to decide a winner. Round three (Finals) will increase to three 5-minute rounds.
Below is a list of the eight competitors:
* Rich Crunkilton: 16-3 with 7 TKOs, 6 Submissions, and 3 Decisions. The 30-year-old Ft. Lauderdale, FL native is known for his devastating throws and slams, high kicks, and wild punches.
* Josh Shockley: 9-0. Only 19 years of age, Shockley has made a name for himself through his athleticism and skills. He fights out of Duneland Vale Tudo with training partners Keith Wisniewski, Darren Elkins, and Mark Burch.
* Drew Fickett: 37-13 with 3 TKOs, 26 Submissions. The 30-year-old Tucson, AZ native has notable victories over Josh Koscheck, Kurt Pellegrino, former UFC lightweight title contender Kenny Florian and Josh Neer. Drew won his last fight against fellow UFC veteran Derrick Noble by submission.
* Carlo Prater: 24-7-1 with 2 TKOs, 12 Submissions. The Sao Paolo, Brazil native began competing in professional mixed martial arts in 2002. He amassed an undefeated record of 10-0, with a notable win over Melvin Guillard, before losing his first bout. He is the former PFC Lightweight Champion.
* James Warfield: 20-6 with 15 TKOs and 5 Submissions. The Sun Prairie, Wisconsin native trained in Jeet Kune Do and Karate as a child. He has since fought for many MMA organizations, such as Shine Fights, International Fighting Championship, Freestyle Combat Challenge, Warriors 4 Warriors, Extreme Cagefighting Organization, Combat USA, Downtown Destruction, EVO MMA, Ultimate Battleground, Xtreme Kage Kombat, Ring Of Fire, and Ultimate Combat Sports. His nickname is The Unbreakable Heavy Hitter.
* Marcus Aurelio: 20-8 with 4 TKOs, 13 Submissions, and 3 Submissions. The 36-year-old Brazilian native is an expert in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He has never been stopped. All eight losses were by decision.
* Hector Muñoz: 9-3, 3 TKOs, 6 Submissions. Muñoz is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt. He is a 2x Grapplers Quest Champ, Pan Am Bronze Medalistas well as a Fight Fest Champion and Katana Cagefighting Champion.
* Charles Bennett: 22-17-2 with 14 TKOs, 5 Submissions. The 30-year-old Ocala, FL native is known as a hell-raiser. He insults other fighters, disrespects referees, and has even brawled with other fighters backstage. He holds notable Knockout victories over former EliteXC Lightweight Champion KJ Noons, UFC veteran Gerald Strebendt, and WEC Bantamweight contender Yoshiro Maeda. He was once quoted stating that ground fighting " is like making love, it's not real fighting."
The MMA showdown will be beamed on PPV on cable and satellite in the United States and Canada. The event will be in High Definition and it will be available in both English and Spanish (where available). The MMA showdown will be distributed live on Pay Per View beginning at 9 p.m. EST/6 p.m. PST by Multi Vision Media, Inc. The suggested retail price is $29.95.
Ticket Information: Tickets for the Mixed Martial Arts Tournament at the Patriot Center on Friday, September 10 at 8:00 p.m. are $350.00, $154, $94.00, $74.00, $64.00, $44.00 and $24.00 (plus applicable service charges) and go on sale August 14 at 10:00 a.m. Tickets will be available through all Ticketmaster outlets including the Patriot Center box office, online at www.ticketmaster.com  or via Phonecharge at 703-573-SEAT, 202-397-SEAT or 410-547-SEAT. Accessible seating is available for patrons with disabilities by calling 703-993-3035. For more information please visit www.patriotcenter.com . Follow us on Facebook (PatriotCenter) or on Twitter (@patriotcenter).
To learn more about Shine Fight Promotions, visit www.shinefights.com  or follow the organization on Twitter @ShineFightsMMA, Myspace (www.myspace.com/ShineFights ), YouTube (www.youtube.com/ShineFights ) or become a fan on Facebook.
CONTACTS: Gladys M. Rosa, Rosa PR 914-734-7336, RPRLatin@aol.com  Tania Rivera, Rosa PR 914-734-7336, Tania.Rivera@Rosapublicrelations.com  Donald Tremblay, Tremblay PR 718-664-3405, email@example.com  Sheila Francis, Patriot Center PR 202-628-3200 x. 6042, firstname.lastname@example.org 
About Shine Fight Promotions:
Shine Fight Promotions, LLC is a U.S.-based organization that seeks to deliver the art, discipline, respect, and passion that is mixed martial arts (MMA) to the global market. Shine is committed to the growth of MMA, and is focused on creating a positive experience for both fighters and fans. Organizing the fights that fighters and fans want to see by arranging the most competitive and interesting matches available is the foremost goal of the promotion. Shine Fight Promotion seeks to grow through innovation, high production values, dramatic and engaging fights, and the promotion of authentic MMA. Above all, Shine is committed to letting fighters, fans, and the sport “shine” through dynamic events. For additional information on Shine Fights, please visit http://www.shinefights.com/ .