Marcello grew up in the country that created Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...
At the age of 6 years old Marcello started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Alvaro Barreto (Carlos and Helio Gracie's student) at the Corpo Quatro Academy in Copacabana Rio De Janeiro/ Brazil. At the age of 16, Marcello started to step up his training and take BJJ very seriously in his life. Throughout the years he has trained with some of the eldest and most respected individuals in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community while also creating his own world champion students.
- Over time, Marcello has had the honor to train with three well known and innovative Brazilian Jiu Jitsu masters: Sergio Souza "Bolao", Ricardo De La Riva and Ricardo Juca.
- For many years Marcello was considered De La Riva's protégé at his academy in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. De La Riva, inventor of the De La Riva Guard, showed Marcello all the secret details of his world famous position.
- Sergio Souza one of Carlson Gracie Teams most successful fighters and 6th degree Black Belt worked directly with Marcello teaching him the secrets of his "butterfly" guard.
- Ricardo Juca showed Marcello all his fighting strategies while focusing on teaching Marcello the way he should think during a match.
- Marcello assisted the World Heavy Weight Champion and black belt, Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira with his half guard game. Minotauro is most well-known for his impressionable career in the Pride FC and in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- Marcello has helped train UFC fighters Chris Lytle, Matt Mitrione and many others in the State of Indiana.
- Marcello helped De La Riva give lessons at his school for many years, until achieving his Black Belt in April of 1999
- In 1998 Marcello opened his first school in Nova Friburgo in Rio De Janeiro/Brazil where he has turned regular students into State, National and World Champions.
- He is the author of the first No Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu book called "Secret Positions" which was sold in the Gracie Shop in Brazil for 5 years.
- He took part in a documentary about De La Riva's life and his created guard position known as the "De La Riva Hook". In the video, Marcello was featured alongside many great masters such as Rickson Gracie, Carlson Gracie, Royler Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Ze Mario Sperry, Murilo Bustamante and Rodrigo Nogueira (Minotauro)
- Marcello won the first Carlson Gracie Competition Team "BJJ Tournament" in the lightweight division in Brazil. The tournament was organized by Ricardo Liborio to honor Carlson Gracie in 1997. Marcello won his final match against his friend Ari Galo (current Carlson Gracie coach at Carlson's academy in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil since 2001).
- Registered as a Physical Education Professor from Conselho Regional de Educacao Fisica - CREF-010016P/RJ-Brazil.
- Created several instructional books and DVD series to help spread his philosophy and techniques throughout the world.
- He is a graduate of the "Rio De Janeiro State Jiu-Jitsu Federation", which is a federation in Brazil that sets and maintains the standards of Jiu Jitsu in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Where is Marcello Now?
Since 2003 Marcello has resided in Indianapolis, IN where he is continuing to fulfill his dream of spreading his knowledge of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in his academy in Indianapolis. He is also currently the owner and instructor of the MCM BJJ Association, his BJJ association where he helps out other schools around the world. He hopes to continue fulfilling his dream until the day he dies and hopes that even after he's gone, his knowledge will continue to spread.